Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Edge

Norton news and info
kscustom

Edge

Post by kscustom »

I made contact with Jay Reading today with the edge program. Gave him some info about me and some of the ideas that I have; a club BBQ, clinic and garage sale to get youth involved and get them cheap plastic, maybe a fundraiser tournament to buy discs for the elementary school, and/or playing a round with maybe 4-5th graders at the end of the school year. We will see what he tells me. This has become a mission for me to try to get kids involved. I will try to keep this updated. Even Don is the only one who reads it. But it is gonna be something that I hope everyone can help with and enjoy.
Kent
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus
smitty

Re: Edge

Post by smitty »

Discs are cheap just ask people for used ones. The problem is getting the teachers to do the activities. The first thing I would do is ask teachers they had any interest. We had a kids league in winfield for a while. We gained probably 5 kids golfers out of that, they had as many as 10 kids at some leagues. Just some ideas.
_dm4

Re: Edge

Post by _dm4 »

The grade school teacher does not do a disc golf unit, but might be open to it if asked again (her husband used to play a lot of disc golf and told me that he helped develop the course in Hays with Ron Rice. One of their sons was active last year, playing several disc golf tourneys on the KDGA tour and playing lots of different courses including several in Colorado). The JH Teacher takes the kids out several times each year in the Spring. He orders new discs every year, getting several different molds of DX plastic, Innova only. He doesn't show them how to play, he just stops the bus and they run around the course as fast as they can. I ordered the EDGE Instructional DVD and gave it to him, but I don't think he ever shows it. This is not all bad, I can think of several disc golfers that are now in college that aren't bad, and they have fun playing the sport. Of course, with a little more instruction, a lot more success could be seen.