Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Dr. Who? DR. DISC GOLF!!! 2K11

Throwing techniques/styles, training, practice
smitty

Re: Dr. Who? DR. DISC GOLF!!! 2K11

Post by smitty »

I have a few things I would recommend on putting practice.

1) Don't practice a on of long putts. Practice the putts that you "have to" make! Most of my putting in the backyard is done from 25 feet and in.

2) Do some rapid fire putting. Get a stack of 5 or 6 putters and just putt without any thought. Putt, grab putt, grab putt. It will do you some good.

3) Practice some rhythm putting. Tourney putts. These need to be done just like a tourney. Approach your lie, find you link, feel your weight transfer, and bang! Find something that works for you. Some people count down, some say "MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT".

4) I like to go to the course and throw several upshots from different spots using different throws. Maybe give yourself a tough lie, then throw 2 finger, roller, back to the basket, thumber, etc. How is this putting? Then go to each of those discs and putt until you make it. If it is in your "Must make zone" putt until you make it a few times.

5) Experiment with different styles, maybe you are using the wrong one. If you find one that works practice it. Ask other people what they are thinking or doing. Have you ever watched Nikko? Right foot forward when straddle putting? What the helk? Watch the people that make tons of putts? What do the do? Ask them to show you?

6) Make putts! You have to make putts to be confident. If that means banging in 20 18 footers at the end of practice, then that is what it means. If you are missing, then stop putting and do something else.
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

Smitty is right
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus
discscout

Post by discscout »

I play two different games from the same set up. Use flags or bricks you can mow over to mark ten spots from the basket starting around 15 feet and moving back 2 feet each station. The first "game" is throw three discs from each station, count the point value of the station for each disc missed. Ex. Miss two from the first station, you are sitting two. Miss one of three from the second, your sitting 4, (2+2)' miss two of three from 3rd, add 6 more;etc. Low scores win. The top pros will all be under 50; if not perfect. Being under 50 and you will see better finishes in your division. Many amateur golfers barely stay under 100. The second game is three to advance. Make all three to go to the second station. Miss one of three and repeat the station; miss two of three, go up one station, miss all three and go up two stations. This game finds your comfort zone and makes you practice in the zone you need the most help. There is really no end to this game if you are practicing. If you want a game, I have used the 50-10 rule. How far can you get before you either amass 50 points or miss 10 times; whichever comes first. Adjust these values to meet your own playing style and your competition. I can tell an improvement in my game but I'm not at the level I want to be yet. I want to make putts consistently inside the circle and have the confidence to make the return if I miss. I believe these games help with that process; its just a variation of the old "Round 9" game developed by DGA back in the day. But remember one thing about practice; its not that practice makes perfect, its perfect practice that makes perfect. Take each putt seriously.
zeerobb

Post by zeerobb »

Just started playing 2 weeks ago. Addicted! Signed up as a member of the air cap and played the tourney Sunday. practice everyday, putting and field work, I have a question.. when does the distance start improving? I'm throwing backhand 100-150 feet, I started out like most newbs by throwing too hard , too high. yesterday after much frustration I tried a forehand throw and WOW, threw that thing 200 feet! I threw so much my shoulder got sore and my distance started to drop. Watching a ton of youtube vids seem to make it worst, I get way too many thoughts and techniques and then just go back to what I was comfortable with. Throwing with a forehand seems to keep it down , sometimes too much and then I get a roller, which isn't too bad, as long as it rolls to the basket..LOL. just wondering how long it took for some of the more experience guys to get distance.
Swede

Post by Swede »

zeerobb wrote:Just started playing 2 weeks ago. Addicted! Signed up as a member of the air cap and played the tourney Sunday. practice everyday, putting and field work, I have a question.. when does the distance start improving? I'm throwing backhand 100-150 feet, I started out like most newbs by throwing too hard , too high. yesterday after much frustration I tried a forehand throw and WOW, threw that thing 200 feet! I threw so much my shoulder got sore and my distance started to drop. Watching a ton of youtube vids seem to make it worst, I get way too many thoughts and techniques and then just go back to what I was comfortable with. Throwing with a forehand seems to keep it down , sometimes too much and then I get a roller, which isn't too bad, as long as it rolls to the basket..LOL. just wondering how long it took for some of the more experience guys to get distance.
It's pretty common for folks to get really hooked by disc golf but I think you might be on a whole new plane! Without watching you throw I'd give you two pieces of advice:
1) Slow down. You are working some muscles that you probably didn't use much before. If you are at it hard, everyday until you are tired and sore, you might need to give yourself a little break to recover. Some things will improve just by your muscles getting conditioned.
2) Slow down. Like I said, I haven't seen you throw but it is very common for newer players to try to get everything they have into a shot in one violent burst of energy. You've been watching the vids--think about them. Think slow and smooth. Slow your run up, slow your throw. Think about getting the right shape to your shot. When you can do it well slowly and smoothly, you'll naturally figure how to speed things up. Get yourself a disc that wants to roll when you throw backhand and practice being smooth with it so it doesn't roll.

Good luck and glad to have ya!
Throw Millennium.
zeerobb

Post by zeerobb »

Thanks, did actually that, slowed down, went and played 2 rounds at Herman hill, started the 1st round ok, not trying to power up my throws or anything and threw 12 over par. 2nd round I was joined by another player playing by himself and was doing much better( slowed down even more, only because he was throwing more relaxed and not trying to impress and that helps me also, The young guys I had to play with at the Oak park tourney last week were really throwing hard and I just followed along, that was the same thing in ball golf, follow a guy with a big drive and then YOU think you have to follow with a big drive! ).. So I shot the second round just 7 over par. did all the rounds off the short tees and FH all tee shots, and backhand all my approach shots. most of my xtra shots were off the putts, 30 ' or more.
Swede

Post by Swede »

Nice. Don't neglect that backhand drive just because you've had early success with the forehand. Practice the right shaped shots and the you'll find the distance.
Throw Millennium.