Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Thomas Park Workday

Salina News and info.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

I called and talked to Mr. Ash about the things that we discussed at league yesterday.

We need a gate between #1 and #2. He said that it sounded like a good idea.

We need spray for poison ivy. He said that he’ll put it in the shed.

Ask about locks. He’ll call when they come in.

Trash cans. He’ll have them interspersed throughout the course.

Bulletin Board. He said that he would get the kind that you can open up and put things in.
disc golf superhero

Post by disc golf superhero »

Austin sent a txt today saying he got all but #5 basket in. I imagine the T's will get marked this weekend or early next week.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

All of the baskets are in! (except #5). Austin did it all himself this afternoon. The woods part of the course plays about like you'd expect. Pure a midrange down the middle and everything is golden......grip lock it......and you're going to be trying to figure out a jailbreak. I played a rd with Downtown tonight and watched him throw great shot after great shot and he was -2 down without playing a few of the holes. It'll be interesting to see what the course record ends up being. One thing is for sure, the get out of trouble shot is going to be key to keeping a great rd alive at this course. It's going to just keep getting better with all of the multiple pin options that this course has to offer.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

I just added up the work hours and we've now went over 300 hours in getting the course ready and putting it in and the ongoing course work. That figure doesn't include any of the time spent designing the course, which I can't even guess the amount of time that would have to be.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Can a person navigate Thomas? If I get to play it this weekend, it will have to be a quick round.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

It's possible, but it would be a lot quicker if you were with someone who knew where they were going.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

What marks the tees?
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Park is on 9th St. between Euclid & Stimmel? Where is 1st tee?
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

How did the mini go on Sunday?

Me and Josh went by there on the way back from the tourney Saturday. The first two tees had numbers on the flags and for some reason they stopped after that. It was tough to figure out which way to go. If there would have been numbers on either the tees or the pins, I probably could have figured it out.

I think we ran through about 8 of 18 holes. I could easily see how much work was needed out there. The place looked awesome though. I didn't get a feel for the whole course, but the shots I saw looked really tough! If you get in trouble, you are going to get punished! Hope to play it again sometime before too long.
jtkustomizer

Post by jtkustomizer »

Mike and I played Hole 1, 2, 3 and then we got lost and wandered around looking for the other holes.

We found 17 and 18 wandering around and found some other holes to but we had no clue as to what #'s they were.

I like what I did get to play and as soon as I get a free weekend I will be driving up there and playing the full course and hopefully someone will be able to give a guided tour.
Life's Circumstances will make you either Bitter or Better...
...Its your Choice
The only way out is through!!!!!
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

I will get phil on making a map and get it posted online so it can be printed out. Let me know when you are coming
smitty

Post by smitty »

I told Mothrows this, but an easy way to get people going the right direction is what they have done at Blackhawk. The painted the basket the "spoke" for lack of a better term. From the pole all the way out and up the side of the basket. That spoke would then guide you towards the next tee. If you have flags with numbers on them and put a house number on the pole it would be good enough for now.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

I think that's a good idea. I know that it has to be tough to navigate right now if you've never played it before.
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

smitty wrote:I told Mothrows this, but an easy way to get people going the right direction is what they have done at Blackhawk. The painted the basket the "spoke" for lack of a better term. From the pole all the way out and up the side of the basket. That spoke would then guide you towards the next tee. If you have flags with numbers on them and put a house number on the pole it would be good enough for now.
That is a good idea until different pin locations are installed then the spoke points to the wrong location. Harvey is working on concrete markers to bury by the baskets to point people in the right direction. here is a map that need a few tweaks just on hole lengths.

http://maceman.com/thomaspark.pdf
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

This course doesnt suck! I wouldnt try playing it without a guide, you WILL get lost. There is no golf like this in kansas except for maybe KC. Some good rounds will be ruined by 1 bad hole. If you get a bad kick into the junk you are screwed, miss an opening by 15ft = screwed. 2 rounds of singles there could equal a long day. Bring your straight flyers you will need them!!! Not much advantage for the big arms here either. Good luck staying bogey free on this monster!!!