Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Peter Pan Park

Emporia news and happenings
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

DJayhawk wrote: That was posted Tuesday, can you tell me if they finished today? Me and a buddy are heading down from KC tomorrow to play Peter Pan, and one of the Jones Park courses which leads me to my next question. If we only have time to play one Jones Park which one is the must play?
Yes, the baskets are being put in the ground tomorrow morning.
And Sarah is right, the East Course (Discatchers) is a lot more challenging than the West Course.(Mach 3's)
I would play the East Course if I were you..All The "Tall Grass" was burnt today, so you wont lose any disc's.
What time you looking to play?
DJayhawk

Post by DJayhawk »

Thanks for the Info we are heading down to Monkey's Island at around 8 am so we'll be in Emporia 10ish or before.

Thanks again!
nastyNate

Post by nastyNate »

there is a long walk between 7 and 8. just cross the amphitheater and take a right when you get to the pond. 8's tee is just past the statue. the rest of the course should be self explanatory
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

ok, my take:

1,2 & 3 are still birdies, but none of them are easy.
4 is the hardest hole on the course, love it!
5 & 6 are probably the easiest holes, shorter holes, but NOT gimmies!
7 is a possible birdie, I like the pin, not the tee...soon to be a bridge between 6 basket and 7 tee??

The Walk....Like 13 to 14 on Jones West
The Walk....Like 8 to 9 on Jones East
Another Walk....7 to 8 at Peter Pan

The Emporia Trilogy...I like The Walk

8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ...all potential birdies
8, 9, 10, 11...all bogies if you drive into a tree
Is monkey island OB on 8? I would say yes!
15 Long hole. I think it plays closer to 3 strokes, not 4.
16 AWESOME hole, NOT RICE PARK HOLE!
17, 18 original.

Yes, Eric will set the course record around 12 under, and that includes a bogey on either 4 or 9, maybe 11....?

I like the course overall, flow issues on 13 & 14.

Make sure to attend the Best Weekend of Disc Golf in Kansas!!!
The Emporia/Herington Swing!!
J

Post by J »

McCabe wrote:First off, Hole 8, and 9 on the "old" layout were the worst holes EVER! No true shot to the hole! Much better holes now, 8 is bad ass with the basket hidden behind the two trees!

Second, Hole 13, and 14 were supposed to be a little different than they are now, but the City had a problem with our original layout, so we moved it the best we could.

Third, You would have left holes 14, 15 the same??? Are you kidding me? Those were worthless!

Forth,
"A lot like playing Jones East"
What? Not even close to the same, there are still technical shots all over the Peter!

Fifth,
"Hole 16 makes Rice Park look difficult Rice Park is the only place I'd driven with a Rhyno before yesterday."
Now I know your crazy! Hole 16 is a sweet little turnover putter shot, that will be heavily guarded in the spring and summer time!

Sixth,
"Hole 12 is ridiculously dangerous. It's shooting right next to a picnic area. Is the city going to move that picnic area, so no one gets hit while eating, or are golfers just responsible for not throwing towards a picnic area?"
--Put the crack pipe down! Hole 12 used to throw right over the top of the picnic table, now its not even close to it!
No insult intended or criticism... Just sharing how I felt on a first run through man. Not knocking your decisions. Obviously we disagree, but thats no problem. Please don't get riled up. I appreciate what you do in this town for disc golf. Besides, whats it matter what I think if you like it. =)
Last edited by J on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J

Post by J »

Hammer wrote:ok, my take:

1,2 & 3 are still birdies, but none of them are easy.
4 is the hardest hole on the course, love it!
5 & 6 are probably the easiest holes, shorter holes, but NOT gimmies!
7 is a possible birdie, I like the pin, not the tee...soon to be a bridge between 6 basket and 7 tee??

The Walk....Like 13 to 14 on Jones West
The Walk....Like 8 to 9 on Jones East
Another Walk....7 to 8 at Peter Pan

The Emporia Trilogy...I like The Walk

8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ...all potential birdies
8, 9, 10, 11...all bogies if you drive into a tree
Is monkey island OB on 8? I would say yes!
15 Long hole. I think it plays closer to 3 strokes, not 4.
16 AWESOME hole, NOT RICE PARK HOLE!
17, 18 original.

Yes, Eric will set the course record around 12 under, and that includes a bogey on either 4 or 9, maybe 11....?

I like the course overall, flow issues on 13 & 14.

Make sure to attend the Best Weekend of Disc Golf in Kansas!!!
The Emporia/Herington Swing!!
I still think 16 feels like rice park. I can ace that sucker with a rhyno. =)
Leo D.

Post by Leo D. »

J wrote: I still think 16 feels like rice park. I can ace that sucker with a rhyno. =)
So when you play West side hole 10 short, or East side hole 13 short, does that feel like rice too? :roll:
superq

Post by superq »

can we leave rice out of it? I got the city to sign off on some new pins so rice is getting beefed up....

what about holes 1-18 at the middle school when we need to talk about a dinker?

RICE GOLD 2006
J

Post by J »

Leo D. wrote:
J wrote: I still think 16 feels like rice park. I can ace that sucker with a rhyno. =)
So when you play West side hole 10 short, or East side hole 13 short, does that feel like rice too? :roll:
Haha, pretty close. Ive been bouncing buzz's of 10 for a while now... =)

Haha, Q. I like rice. Im not knocking it. When I go home to visit the family, I play it as a warm up. Its a great practice course. Has helped my mid game immensly. As for the middle school, Im going to stay off that topic. The emporites got it in for me as is.

Anyways, I played the pan twice today. I don't think its a bad course. My first impressions were just dissapointment cause the old course was a tough sucker on some days. That being said, I dont think theres any "bad" holes... I still think 12, 13 and 14 are dangerous holes... because the possibuility of wild drives, but they aren't bad holes by any means.

One thing I definatly like is that there are a lot less Aceable shots (no 2, 3, 4, 7, 15, 16) from the old layout, where a ace was almost always a possibuility are now moved from easily ace-able positions for the most part. You're really gonna have to work for it now.

However, a lot more of the holes are birdiable shots than before. Just as an example, My old course average was about a 59. Im not a great driver, and Im just starting to get better with my putting. My mid-game is really my only skill im good with (love the rhyno). However, today I played the new layout twice, and I threw a 53 and a 54 . On the old layout, I think I only threw that well once...maybe twice in 2 years.

So my only real dissapointment is that the course seems easier (maybe it would have been harder if 13 & 14 were where eric wanted them originanlly?). No beefs about it. Its a fun course. I personally just think the only real tough holes are the long fairways: 2, 4 and 12 (which are what remind me of Jones east). Funny thing is, those were the only 3 I bogied in 2 rounds.
DJayhawk

Post by DJayhawk »

Wow! :shock: we played Peter Pan Park, and Jones East today.

First off we played PPP, and I really enjoyed the whole course. I never got to play it in the old set up so I can't compare the twow but I thought there is a nice mix of required shots, and overall I just really liked the Park setting. We were fortunate enough to run into a woman there with her grandkids, and she gave us a brief history of the Monkey Island, and suggestions for lunch. Thanks lady!

Question: Will there be a Pin placement actually on Monkey's Island? I'm definitely looking forward to playing this course again. The tournament should be a blast!

OK Jones Park East, I think I may have forgotten to mention we are Intermediate level. The wind, and the difficulty of that course kicked my ass. The no signage or directional arrows sent us on a couple wild chases for tee pads and pins. In fact we may have messed up 9, 10, 11 but we think we got back on track for 12 in. I liked the course and the challenge but could have benefited from playing with a local or having a map, oh and about 20mph less winds.

Question: During the Glass Blown Open will all divisions play both courses or how does that work?

Overall we had a great day trip, Emporia is cool town and we played two nice courses. Keep up the good work guys!

-Dennis

PS: I lost a Bright Green Road Runner on 17 Jones East name and number on back.
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

DJayhawk wrote:Question: Will there be a Pin placement actually on Monkey's Island? I'm definitely looking forward to playing this course again. The tournament should be a blast!

The no signage or directional arrows sent us on a couple wild chases for tee pads and pins.

Question: During the Glass Blown Open will all divisions play both courses or how does that work?
Yes, we do plan on playing a pin on Monkey Island this year.

Sorry about the tee signs on the East Course, we have them all done, as a matter of fact they are all sitting in my living room as we speak. They are going in the ground early next week. The City pulled the ones we had on the East Course, and put them at Peter Pan Park.

We have two pins on both, the East and the West Course, and all divisions will play both Jones Park courses for the Glass Blown Open.
DJayhawk

Post by DJayhawk »

McCabe wrote: Yes, we do plan on playing a pin on Monkey Island this year.

Sorry about the tee signs on the East Course, we have them all done, as a matter of fact they are all sitting in my living room as we speak. They are going in the ground early next week. The City pulled the ones we had on the East Course, and put them at Peter Pan Park.

We have two pins on both, the East and the West Course, and all divisions will play both Jones Park courses for the Glass Blown Open.
No worries, we still had a great time. It's always fun to find your way around a course the first time :) I figured there would be signs on the East course, are they going to be like the ones on the West course? Those are nice.

Thanks again for all the information.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

superq wrote:sounds like sprout engorged the peter...

The new peter is great! I'm going in for another cut next week. :o
Friz-Rocker

Post by Friz-Rocker »

Schoen-hopper wrote:
superq wrote:sounds like sprout engorged the peter...

My new peter is great! I'm going in for a new enlargement next week :o

With all the engorging and enlarging goin`on,who has time to play discgolf???
When you have to choose between your woman and discgolf,don`t be stupid-choose the discgolf.
superq

Post by superq »

great now two away has a chubby... :twisted: